Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Just say no to borders!!!

A few years back I decided (upon my son's request) to redecorate his room in a deer theme. Yes...I said deer theme. At that time in his small and simple life he idiolized his dad and anything that his dad loved. That included deer hunting. So, I found this deer border on oline, ordered it, and put it up. Simple. A great accomplishment. It looked so good. Then....Monday October 5, 2009 rolls around. The boy has changed his mind and wants to redecorate his room. Sure, no problem! I was excited to take on the project. New paint, new bedspread and wall decorations. Sounds fun! First step...take down the border. Simple, right? Just wet it down and it will come right off is what they told me. Guess what? They were WRONG!!! Those of you that know me best and talk to me every day....if I ever utter the words "I think I'll put up a border or wall paper" please stop me and remind me how awful it is to take it off the wall. For an hour last night I wet the border down and scrapped and scrapped and scrapped. Three feet is what I accomplished. All over the floor it went. I don't enjoy this. I do not enjoy this at all. At this rate it will take me a good week to get the whole thing off. For a brief moment I thought to myself.. "Jen, you could just paint over it with a couple of extra coats of paint." But reality raised it's ugly head and gave me the sense that covering it up never really works. So, I'm stuck with this glorious and stuborn border vowing to NEVER do this again!!

2 comments:

  1. You should get a product called "Dif." I think you can even get it at Walmart. I've used it to take down two different borders in two different houses and it works wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheaper solution is to add white vinegar to the water. Spray it on and let it soak in, but not dry. Do a little at a time. It works wonders! I de-wallpapered my entire house that way when we moved in.

    ReplyDelete